Sunday, October 3, 2010

It is normal !!!!

I was talking to Fiona about my recent foraging for bits and the need to spread them out to look at them and see the connections between pieces so that I can envisage assemblages such as my light catchers and incense burners.


I commented that I hope she didn't mind my collections, such as the above, spread out in the garage in the space under the pumpkin hammock. Her response was "not at all - that is just normal" .. nice of her to say that but "normal"? I know that artists such as Donna, Robyn, Kim and many others have their 'collections' of bits - but I am not sure that makes it "normal". Still I am happy that I live with a fellow artist who does very different work to me but understands.
We went for a country drive today and course kept our eyes out for art galleries and 'collectable' shops and garage sales - we did manage to see a couple of 'collectable outlets' but the best was in fact a farm garage sale.


Most stuff was gone but the woman had 4 great solid heavy cast iron wheels for sale (600-700mm in diameter) - so we bought the four of them for a good price and carried them home in the VW Golf - must say it was nicely weighted in the rear on the trip home. These will become part of bigger works - circles within squares?? I just love the offset circle in the bigger toothed wheel. And great rust of course.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, what wonderful finds....just love old wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! My eyes are darting from corner to corner picking out pieces i recognize and others that i don't. My husband isn't an artist but he loves the fact that i get so excited about rusty metal. He collects old rusty farm implements so we both have the collector gene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C&R - always good to see other junk junkies are out there. R - it made me smile tio think you might spend time identifying bits - it might make you smile to see some bits appearing in the light cathers. Go well and create abudantly. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.