Friday, May 11, 2012

The water carrier

Our beloved Chief COMA Coordinator  Ken Munsie has once again sent the word out that there shall be another COMA exhibition - this time in Rosetta Books a bookshop and the theme will be: The Twelve signs of the Western Zodiac. The exhibition will run for 3 weeks - 1 June to 22 June.The space is limited and therefore the pieces are to be small. 3D pieces are to be no bigger than 10x8x4 inches.

I have chosen to create a piece that represents my star sign - Aquarius.  So Friday afternoon was, in the main, given over to COMA creation and completion. You can see from the photos below I have made a  sacred water carrier-pourer (Carrier for the water of life) that has a slight Japanese temple influence. This piece reflects the fact that the Aquarius sign is usually portrayed as a water pourer or carrier.

©2012 Barry Smith - Carrier for the waters of life
The vessel is made from parts of a small brass pump from an old backpack spray; a copper rivet; a brass door stud; and the handle fashioned from another brass object from my 'collection'. I left most of the original patina in place - looks like it could be an old sacred object.

©2012 Barry Smith - Carrier for the waters of life
©2012 Barry Smith - Carrier for the waters of life - handle detail
©2012 Barry Smith - Carrier for the waters of life - image from the top
I also got time to finish the small light catcher with the swinging encased crystal - I think I will call this piece Circle of Light. The cogs and the brass perforated circle polished up beautifully.

©2012 Barry Smith - Circle of light - light catcher
©2012 Barry Smith - Circle of light - light catcher - crystal and perforated brass circle
©2012 Barry Smith - Circle of light - light catcher - detail - polished cogs
A good Friday afternoon in the studio (garage and great outdoors). Now I hear 'a few bubbles' calling - so I best answer them.

9 comments:

  1. The water carrier and the sun catcher are both beautiful!! Amazing how you can recycle all those bits and transform them entirely....alchemy!! Hope you've enjoyed those bubbles! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a productive time indeed! i love the interpretation of your star sign...
    and your circle of light is wonderful - it surely did polish up well... but you excel in that step... have a wonderful weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your way of thinking Barry. The lightcatcher is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The water carrier is amazing - you never disappoint, Barry! And the lightcatcher is beautiful - even if I do appreciate patina...
    Love when you close your post with the call of 'bubbles' - makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree, it and these do have a look of sacred vessels. I love every detail! you really have a wonderful style and wonderful creativity mister B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've worked your magic again I see! These pieces are so clever and so beautiful, but the fact that they can go beyond that surface and convey deeper meanings, and hold such histories in them is simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P, MJ, JM, S/R, TL & TT/G - thanks for checking out the assemblages - always a bit of fun to look at the bits and pieces and see how they might meld into one. P - as I said I often look at my stash and see nothing and then look again and just know that goes with that etc. MJ - sacred water carrier is not a bad way to look at the star sign and of course I would have to polish it a little. JM - hope to see your exquisite piece at Rosettas. S/R thanks, and I also love patina - and life can't be all gloom if there are bubbles? TL - really appreciate the fact that you think they have style. TT/G - I love looking at something and knowing it is more than a object - it can say something - thanks. All- go well. B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pieces, Barry!I love the way you have imprisoned the prism within the metal ring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both beautiful pieces, Barry, and didn't those cogs brush up well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.