Sunday, October 26, 2014

Bell at the end of a working weekend

Whilst Fiona has been in NZ I took the opportunity to sand and paint her folks back and entry decks. Big job but the outcome looks good.

©2014 Barry Smith - Metal particles from cutting cylinder
But I scheduled in a couple of hours today to start a project that has been in the back of my mind for quite a long time - to make a bell from a discarded gas cylinder. Fortunately I picked up such a cylinder from a garage sale a little while ago. The cylinder was about 600mm long and 180mm in diameter. I checked it had no remaining gas, took the value out, and half filled it with water before I started to cut it with my side grinder and thin cutting blade - wanted to make sure there was no chance of explosions.

©2014 Barry Smith - Discarded cylinder marked up for cutting
©2014 Barry Smith - Cut
It took a bit of cutting. I have done some rudimentary grinding, made a brass hanging top and a hook. I hung it on the bell deck - it is tiny compared to our Japanese Peace (temple) bell. And I gave it a test gong. Bit soft and a bit tinny but it works. Not sure if the video will work - but blogger won't let me delete it either.





Still quite a bit of work to be done on the bell; but it was good to have done a little creative work just for its own sake.

Below are some before and after photos of the decks.






I think I should sleep well tonight.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got to do something creative in amongst all the deck sanding and painting. The bell looks good! As do the decks, amazing change from old to new...and I am sure they are greatly appreciated. Looking forward to returning soon and seeing it all for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always feels good to bring old wood back to life! Love the bell, video works fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you slept well after all that sanding - but what a great result! The bell is looking good. Couldn't make the video work but I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi F, VA & C - thanks for checking out my tired contribution. F - as you know the gas bottle is now in many more pieces to make a num,her of different bell types. VA - glad the video worked for you. C - I think the video needs an up to date version of Adobe flaw player or such the like. Good news is I have recovered fro neck restoration. All - go well. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. you do keep yourself fairly busy, barry! i like your bell. and the video did work, so i heard it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.