Friday, September 18, 2015

Messengers for peace


©2015 Barry Smith - Peace messages
I'm off to a school reunion. I don't really do school reunions; but a good friend of mine wanted me to attend - so Fiona and I are attending. Never wanting to let a chance go by I thought I might recruit a few more messengers  for peace by making a peace leaf for each person attending the formal dinner - about 40. I thought this might encourage some to engage with the word peace given the dinner will be a couple of days before International Peace Day on 21 September.

I know folk who read this blog have seen the peace leaf making process before etc etc - but peace can always do with another showing - so photos of the process follows.

©2015 Barry Smith - Silver-plated blanks (100mmX25mm)
©2015 Barry Smith - Stamping of blanks complete
©2015 Barry Smith - Stamping of blanks complete
©2015 Barry Smith - Last five folded and cut blanks to be hammered on the anvil
©2015 Barry Smith - 40 leaf forms annealed and unfolded
©2015 Barry Smith - 40 ground and polished peace leaves
Fiona and I delivered my small metal tree (about 1.8m high) to the local library. A couple of the librarians want children to make peace "hangy-uppy things" to decorate the tree over the next week (school holidays) to introduce them to the International Peace Day - and maybe start them on the road to be p[eace messengers. Fiona and I also delivered sheets of potential peace-birds and peace leave for the children to colour, write messages on and hang on the tree.

©2015 Barry Smith - Copies of peace "hangy-uppy things (librarian's words).
Hopefully come 21 September there might just be a few more messengers for peace.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with that. The world could use a little peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never tire of seeing how you make things, Barry! Your Peace leaves are stunning - your school mates are very fortunate...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.