Friday, November 13, 2015

Making stock

©2015 Barry Smith - Finger protectors take a beating in the grinding and polishing process
One of the reoccurring discussions in our house is about the amount of creative work given to trying new ideas and designs; and the amount given over to making stock for our shop and galleries - all part of the art life if one wants to not only make but also sell work.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been making stock: new work but along an old theme (Artisan Lamps) for the December show-sale in the st+baker+studio gallery Redcliffe; Daily Word Leaves sets because I had run out of them; Peace Book Pendants - almost out of them; and more Steampunk influenced for show and sale in st+baker+studio gallery.

The making of small word leaves..

©2015 Barry Smith - All these tools are used in the leaf 'opening' process - lovely Japanese copper hammers
©2015 Barry Smith -Word leavers in the rough
©2015 Barry Smith - 49 beautiful 7cm long word leaves
A batch of bowls for Daily Word Leaves sets.

©2015 Barry Smith
Peace Book Pendant pages - cut drilled and polished.

©2015 Barry Smith
And selecting and polishing bits for Steampunk influenced jewellery.

©2015 Barry Smith - "found objects"
Though the work can be production it is still delightful to give the discarded metal and objects new life and new homes.

3 comments:

  1. These are so inspiring ... especially the small word pieces. I have to admit I am now eyeing some silver pieces that have been languishing in my cabinets for decades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely selection of your treasures, Barry! I'm feeling a touch of tool envy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. L & C - thanks for your comments. L - the silver pieces languishing in your cabinets sounds very promising - hope to see what you do with them. C - my tool stash has grown over the years - I surprise myself with my selection of hammers - and I try to exercise restraint. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.