Friday, January 29, 2021

Etched panels for small sculptures

 

Today I finished etching some 27 aluminium plates of various sizes that will become elements of small indoor-desk sculptural pieces. I still need to do the final cleaning of the plates but I am happy with the outcome. The plates ranged in size from 5cmX5cm to 12cmX20cm.

The process started with making some templates; and then doing the blockout using red, blue and white paint pens.


Today I did the etching using copper sulphate and table salt - based on Fiona's instructions and quantity measures. Wanting to get the 27 plates done I made 2 litres of a strong solution. Lots of heat and copper froth being given off. The etch on the aluminium is about .25mm-.5mm deep. Etching was done outside with mask on and breeze to blow away and fumes.



The pieces were given a couple of washes when they came out of the solution. Then the remains paint needed to be removed - using Fiona's non-acetone nail-polish remover. 

The final pieces still show signs of paint stain - this will be removed using a wire wheel. The edges of the plates will also have the edges ground.





I'm hoping that by Sunday I can have the timbers sanded and a couple of pieces complete.

4 comments:

  1. metalwork is so mysterious to me ... I love watching what you do

    ReplyDelete
  2. P, F & LA - always good to have other artists visiting and appreciating the work reported on the blog. P - there were/are always going to be leaves - haha. F - thanks - the etching gives an extra dimension. LA - I could say the same about stitching which is a mystery to me. All - go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.