Friday, January 8, 2021

Unusual commission

 


I was asked to make four copper corners for a glass table top (11mm thick glass). The customer wanted a rustic decorative corners; but also corners that would protect the glass and cover a sharp edge.

The final product is shown in the photo above - slip on corners - to be held in place with silicone. Four copper corners with brass strip and rivets to cover join.

The process photos below show the aluminium form I made to shape the corners and do the riveting on; and a prototype I made to show the customer.



Then I got down to making the four corners. Cutting out the sheets using a common template; and then lots of folding and gentle hammering with a plastic hammer.  Though they started out the same each is unique as there is always going to be a bit of difference in bending and riveting by hand.






Still I think the final outcome is both functional and has rustic handmade beauty. I left a little patina on the pieces to give them an aged look.



3 comments:

  1. these are simply grand ... makes me wish I had a glass-topped table!

    I hope there will be pictures of them installed in the future ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. love seeing your process of this beautiful resolve, look forward to seeing them on the glass table top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LA & MC - glad you like the functional pieces. I will try to remember to ask the customer for photos of the installed corners. MC - I think most artists enjoy process photos. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.