Sunday, January 31, 2021

Bringing timber and metal together

 


I was able to sand some of the timber blocks I had cut earlier; polish some of the etched aluminium with a steel wire wheel; and attached the plates to the timber with small brass nails. A finished 100mm cube above; and the stash of cut timber below.

In all I managed to finish 4 small tabletop timber and aluminium sculptural pieces. Some photos of the finished four pieces follow.

The pair of pieces below are about 240mm high.


  

The cube below is 100mm - I was informed the timber for the cube below is mulga as is the timber for the pieces above.



The final cube is 150mm - very hard and heat ironbark timber - .




You can see I have played with some wrap around pieces and different shapes - rectangles, square and triangles. I probably have another 6 pieces to go.  I'm pleased how they are turning out. 

4 comments:

  1. such beautiful work, love the brass nails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those wrap-around pieces are impressive ... it can't be easy to get such a clean bend and tight fit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi F, MC & LA - thanks for your visit and supportive comments. MC - thanks - the brass nails give a little bit of blindness. LA - bending around corners courtesy of strong hand and soft faced hammer. All - go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.