Sunday, January 10, 2021

Melting moments - metal that is

 

It is a long time since I last did a metal melt - melting the high quality offcuts of silver-plated copper and silver-plate brass. I try to keep the tiny offcuts separate as the silver-plated copper results in a soft silver copper material; whereas the silver-plated brass results in a soft silver brass look.

I usually set the temperature of the electric melting furnace at about 1000-1100 degrees celsius - white hot. Togged up with leather gloves and apron etc. Moulds are made of graphite.

I had a bit of trouble with the couple of  melting session I did - for some reason the furnace kept tripping the circuit breaker when it reach the higher temperatures. As you can see from some photos in the later part of this blog the metal cooled and would not pour because of this problem. Still Fiona and I persisted and we did achieve the main outcome of the exercise - to pour a number of metal hearts. Fiona and I do this together to ensure no accidents happen.

Process photos follow.





Smoking graphite moulds.

Outcome photos follow. Pieces trimmed - it all looks pretty rough before grinding and polishing with wire brush wheel.


Heart in the rough - love the texture created by the metal cooling process.


Super hot metal that did not pour well - including a couple of misshapen hearts
 and lumps I simply poured out to clean the graphite crucible.


Good outcome but I will need to sort the issue with the furnace cutting off before I melt again.

3 comments:

  1. Hazardous duty for sure! Back in the day, when I worked at Colonial Williamsburg, I knew one of the foundrymen (now called founders in a nod to those of the female persuasion) who worked primarily in pewter. I confess I didn't attend too closely to the details of his historic trade as my personal interests trended to textiles, but this video gives a glimpse of working metal without benefit of electricity!

    https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/locations/foundry/

    P.S. I especially like the ripples in the misshapen hearts ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Barry))) these are beautiful! do you need to get an electrician in to amp up the power?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LA & MC - better later than never to says thanks for your comments. LA - Thanks for the info - I love the change of name to founders - it would be easier to work with the pewter as it has a much lower melting point - I will try that. The ripples in the cooling are just lovely. MC - I agree regarding the electrician. Go well and create well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.