Friday, May 20, 2011

Rust lust on Friday

Though the day has held many thing I did get an hour to complete the piece, Journey 2, for the COMA exhibition.

I have still referenced the Snow Leopard by Peter Mattehiessen but for Journey 2: the ‘pages’ represent chapters of a life. The ‘thread’ that weaves through life’s chapters represents the turns and choices or life’s journey. The ‘pages’ are stamped with the words: journey, turns and choices. 


Barry Smith © Journey 2
Barry Smith © Journey 2
Barry Smith © Journey 2 - detail
>Bit of a new thing for me  - I have used bookbinding waxed thread (courtesy of Fiona) to create the thread through the piece - I have used 7 threads combined into one to reflect the seven pages - a sacred number for life. Our lives are made up of many threads.


Barry Smith © Thread
Barry Smith © Journey 2 - detail
Barry Smith © Threads of life
Barry Smith © Threads of life
And of course I have enjoyed bringing rusted metal together with salvaged worn wood.

10 comments:

  1. Barry,

    A striking piece! I especially love the second photo with the majestic mountain and clouds in the background. Well done!

    Wising you a great weekend,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful~the rust is perfection! I also love the way it is displayed on the wood. I'm torn between looking at the sculpture and the background ~ That View...Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing this in the 'flesh' as it were. That metal has marvellous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B, SZQ, JM - am pleased you like the piece - but you are right the background is special. Fiona and I were away from here for about 6 weeks for work0work and now are just counting ourselves so lucky to have such a borrowed big backyard - a valley that stretches for about 100klm. JM - assume we will see you at the COMA opening? B

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like how you can't turn these pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great shots B - and it's a beautiful bit of bookishness! F

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely piece Barry. The twisted thread adds another facet to an interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful book, Barry, and such gorgeous rust!

    ReplyDelete
  9. V, F, R - thanks for comment and feedback.
    V- bit like life really - not always easy to change the direction of some chapters of life.
    R- thread is different for me - but I wanted the symbol of multiple threads - wire can be a bit stiff and lacks the contrasting colours. Loved Fiona's waxed thread.
    C- I have shellaced the rust on these last two pieces as they need to be indoors and with books which I did not want to harm

    Cheers B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm sad I missed this one - looks wondeful - all those elements combining together xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.