Friday, June 7, 2013

A whole lot of polishing going on...

During the week I was cutting and creating stuff for a number of purposes: Flags for Peace 2013; our Peace & Stillness exhibition in August-September; the library display; and the 601 mvr open studio on the 6-7 July. But whilst I was cutting and, stamping and hammering I was not able to get out in the open to grind and polish - it has been too wet.

©2013 Barry Smith - A fragment of peace
Today was finally fine enough for me to get out. I set myself a very ambitious goal - grind and polish: 21 flags for peace 'flags'; the Peace Leaves (for both the exhibition and the library display); odd bits of found earrings; and the Peace Book Pendant pages.

©2013 Barry Smith - P{eace Leaves - requiring a little polishing
©2013 Barry Smith - Some found earring bits
©2013 Barry Smith - A fan of unpolished peace 'flags'
©2013 Barry Smith - Detail of unpolished peace 'flags'
©2013 Barry Smith - A bowl of peace book pendant pages (12 books in all)
Well I managed to get the 'flags' done - these will be held on a rope suspended by split rings to enable movement and hopefully chiming in the breeze.

©2013 Barry Smith - A fan of polished peace 'flags'
©2013 Barry Smith - Detail of a fan of polished peace 'flags' - reflecting a bit of overhead red light
The Peace Leaves are also complete.

©2013 Barry Smith - Polished peace leaves
But the Peace Books and found earrings bits will have to wait for another day. Still a pretty good afternoon's work - and a few different lines of work progressed. I can hear a cork that is calling to be popped - so I guess it is time for me to go and work with Fiona on the blue cheese and pumpkin risotto.

5 comments:

  1. Oh... after all the wonderful metal, and the biggest response in my body was a stomach growling when you mentioned pumpkin risotto! ( my eyes and soul did quite enjoy all the Peace and metal, however!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. VA - Thanks for the comment; and the smile when I read about your reaction to the risotto. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the sound of the cork popping! And I also like all these stunning and delicious pieces of metal. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TL & C - thanks for your comments. The great thing about metal is when polished it seems precious - eye candy indeed. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.