Friday, March 21, 2014

Steampunk lamp in the making

I'm always a bit surprised when I get to Friday night to see that the day has been full of many things. Today has been no different so I should not be surprised: a morning of community related meetings: getting stuff ready to do a job over at Fiona's folks tomorrow morning (it involves cement); and then into the studio-garage this afternoon.

But added to the mix was a little surprise in my quenching bucket - at first I thought the larger lizard had expired but I found once I drained off the water and gave it time it revived - that was a good start to the afternoon. The lizard is about 35-40cm long.

©2014 Barry Smith - Large lizard recovering in empty quenching bucket
Then I cut up footing metal in preparation for the job tomorrow.

©2014 Barry Smith - why not create a bit of a pattern with the post footing metal!!!
On to the planned activity for this afternoon - begin assembling a Steampunk bedside or desk lamp. So got together odds and end and started the process.

©2014 Barry Smith - Initial stash for the lamp - some bits rejected and others added along the way
By sundown I had get the rudimentary shape of the lamp together. This has included making lots of new internal and external threads to bolt the pieces together.

©2014 Barry Smith - Steampunk lamp takes shape
©2014 Barry Smith - Riveted lampshade etc
©2014 Barry Smith - Side view of the lamp in progress
©2014 Barry Smith - Front view of lamp in progress
Fiona asked if it would actually work - the answer is yes - I think. I deconstructed a lamp I bought from a garage sale so I will use the electrics (carefully) from that to turn it into an actual lamp. And of source I will test it very cautiously. Off to make pizzas.

5 comments:

  1. lol… on the thumbnail pic before i came over here, your guest looked like an abstract metal shape that seemed really interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cool Barry. Glad the lizard survived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi SS, VA and JM - thanks for your support and interest. SS - you are so right it did look like a bit of metal - especially given it was sitting on a few handles from trays I cut up. VA - the assemblage work does have a real sense of fun about it - good way to have a break from the more technical work. JM - I breathed a sigh of relief when the lizard scooted off into the bushes - it actually lives in my metal pile. All - go well. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy lizard story B, so that was good. As for your lamp, is there nothing you can't turn your hand to?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.