Sunday, January 10, 2016

Looking back over 2015

At the beginning of each year Fiona and I do a couple of review and planning sessions - to remind ourselves of the year past and what we would like to achieve in the new year. These sessions include a look at many aspects of our life: work-work, the block; and our art.

I was a bit surprised to see I had covered quite a bit of territory art wise in 2015. Some of what I thought were highlights, not in order of priority, were:

My artists book Futility, originally made for the 14-18 Pieces for Peace exhibition in Ieper, was also exhibited in the Redland Gallery in sync with their Personal Histories exhibition. The book was purchased by the gallery for their artists book collection.

©2015 Barry Smith - Futility (the futility of war)
Winning the Aspects Art Show open overall prize - this was for my piece a River of Stars - an exciting moment.

©2015 Barry Smith - River of Stars - 21 individually hammered starburst bowls 
Sending my Precious Peace Library off to the Manly Artists Book Awards. It was not awarded or acquired; but I still love it.

©2015 Barry Smith - Precious Library of Peace - twenty-one small silver-plated riveted books with peace sayings and quotes
Converting heaps of family heirlooms into a family hoard for Meg and others.

©2015 Barry Smith - One of Meg's hoards -I recycled metal several people throughout the year
My first attempt at smelting my tiny metal offcuts - I really enjoyed this smelting experience and hope to do a bigger smelt in February 2016.

©2015 Barry Smith - Bit of mish-mash of pieces  - but an opportunity to test the metal smelter and graphite crucibles and forms
Winning the 3d section of the Blackall Heartland Art Show with my piece Drift of leaves.

©2015 Barry Smith - Drift of Leaves - twenty-one silver-plated leaf forms ranging in size from 12cm to 17cm
I entered the Kenilworth art show for the first time in 2015; and my work Bending 3 was shortlisted for the SCC's inaugural environment award; and it made into the top four.

© 2015 Barry Smith - Bending 3
Completing the five peace posts commission. This was the first time Fiona and I have done a big etch on aluminium. The etched plates in the posts were 1m-1.2m in length. The biggest post was 1.8m tall.

©2015 Barry Smith - Peace Posts
Finally getting Peace in the Trees Sculptural Walk installed and officially opened was a big achievement for Art4place, me and peace I hope.

©2015 Barry Smith - Imagine Peace - cemented into place
Participating in a couple of events in Jo St Baker's studio-gallery in Redcliffe including the Steampunk Christmas where many of my Artisan Lamps were on show and quite a few sold.

©2015 Barry Smith - One of my Artisan Lamps
And continuing to see my work sold through Maleny Additions - who would imagine that leaf spoons and ladles could be so popular.

©2015 Barry Smith - A stash of Leafspoons
Looking back, and even listing 10 achievements, is a good reminder of just how much we artists can and do get through in a year -  I love the art life. And the 2016 art year has already begun.

Heaps of thanks to fellow artists and non-artists who have supported and encouraged me throughout 2015; including those who have visited this blog and have left supportive comments.

4 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous look back, Barry! You have produced an amazing body of work, and I have loved watching from week to week. What next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. a good look over here. well done, barry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P, C & V - thank you for your ongoing interest and support. Achievements are all the more valued when shared with fellow artists. Create well in 2016.B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.