Sunday, February 21, 2016

Ripping into timber

©2016 Barry Smith - Band saw blade and timber in late afternoon sun.
In the wood stash over at the shed we have had about 8 short lengths (200-250mm) of River Oak (also known as Hairy Oak because of its stringy bark) that someone gave us when they were moving about 6 years ago. It has just sat there waiting for me to saw it into useful shapes. I need some blocks for Artisan Lamps so I thought it was about time to wheel the bandsaw out and at least saw some of the blocks.

When I first started the task (Tuesday) I found the band saw drive belt had perished and simply snapped. I ordered a new belts and a couple of new blades - these arrived on Friday.

So today I managed to do the running repairs and saw four of the 8 lengths. One has to admire the detail of the grain of this timber. So I now have pieces ready for lamps - will of course cut up more over the next couple of weeks.

The ripping part

©2016 Barry Smith
©2016 Barry Smith
©2016 Barry Smith
And the blocks oiled to preserve them

©2016 Barry Smith
©2016 Barry Smith
©2016 Barry Smith
©2016 Barry Smith
Bark and timber offcuts for orchids



While I was at it I decided that I would cut some thinner pieces for small cheese boards - I'll see how they work out. If these turn out OK I will make more functional boards.

©2016 Barry Smith - Ready for sanding and then the table
It was good to reacquaint myself with the band saw - a useful piece of equipment I bought second hand some 5-6 years ago. Good to be able to produce my own timber from gifted and salvaged timber.


5 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. Lovely wood, lovely colours.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. No end to your talents. That wood is beautiful, so many lovely patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What absolutely stunning timber! I think the shop needs some cheese boards...

    ReplyDelete
  4. S, JM, P & C - sorry it has been a while before I got around to thanking you for your visit and comments. All - the colours and patterns revealed were a surprise to me; and of course different cuts reveal different patterns. C - strangely enough we had visitors for a meeting and another lot for dinner - gifts of small cheese boards did take place - maybe more when I do the next cut? Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.