Friday, March 18, 2016

Wrapping wood

©2016 Barry Smith  - Detail of wood and metal
As time permits I'm into adding the metal to the mountain forms. The metal is quite structured to contrast with the more organic mountain forms. So not only does it mirror one edge of the mountain form; it also is attached to the wood with a grid of screws which reflect the angles of the mountain forms and have a square drive head.

©2016 Barry Smith - One mountain form getting close to being finished - this form is about 30cm high and 35cm long
Each form is slightly different so I need to cut paper templates (Fiona's suggestion) which are transferred to the different widths of aluminium strips (vary from 6cm to 20cm in width). I end up with lots of paper templates and paper and metal offcuts on the garage floor.

©2016 Barry Smith - Literally on the cutting floor
I find vises and clamps to be my good friends in holding metal in place for marking, drilling and screwing.

©2016 Barry Smith 
©2016 Barry Smith 
It is good that I have two rechargeable drills and a rechargeable screw driver for this job as each piece has 20-40 screws in it. At the end of the making of the two sculptures I will have used about 250 screws.

©2016 Barry Smith - Clamps, drills and screw driver
So far I have finished attaching the metal to 6 forms.

©2016 Barry Smith  - Six mountain forms with metal attached.
And another almost finished on the bench.

©2016 Barry Smith - Quite the grid pattern
Yesterday afternoon and this afternoon have been good art blocks of time. I'm looking forward to finishing these sculptures over the weekend. But enough for today - I'm off to make a pizza and share a wine or two with Fiona.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the completed piece, Barry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. R & C - sadly I failed to respond in a timely way. Still thanks for your comments and for following the progress of this work - which you know now is completed. Peace. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.