Sunday, July 22, 2018

Riveted circle

©2018 Barry Smith - A circle of riveted earrings made from offcuts of silver, silver plated copper and silver-plated brass
As part of my garage-studio tidy-up a few months ago I came across a container with quite a number of small offcuts that had been saved to make riveted earrings. Over the weekend I committed to making a stash of earrings from the pieces. I knew I would not have the time to use up all the metal - so I committed myself to making 7 pair of earrings.

©2018 Barry Smith - Metal offcuts - potentially riveted earrings
Riveted earrings don't look like they would take much time; but it is surprising just how much time goes into: the cutting, design, grinding and polishing the small fragments of metal, punching the holes for the rivets and riveting itself. Anyway I did manage 7 pair as you can see from the photo below.
©2018 Barry Smith - Rough cut metal and some holes punched - ready for bringing and polishing
©2018 Barry Smith - Riveted sets of earrings ready for jump rings and ear wires
Jump rings and earwigs need to be added; and then presto one has the completed pairs.

©2018 Barry Smith - All the ear wires are solid 925 silver
©2018 Barry Smith - Small (25mm long) pair of earrings made from: solid sterling silver hammered offcuts, solid silver stars, solid silver rivets and solid silver ears wires
©2018 Barry Smith
©2018 Barry Smith
©2018 Barry Smith - Triple layered riveted earrings - about 40mm long
©2018 Barry Smith
©2018 Barry Smith
©2018 Barry Smith
I must get around to putting a few pair into my online shop.

5 comments:

  1. These make me wish I still wore earrings ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are stunning, the reverts make them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, Barry! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. LA, MC and P - sorry it has taken me a while to responded to your generous comments. LA and MC - I can do clip-ons. And it was interesting that when I gave the wee books to the CoB team I did one set of clip-ons and one pendant - always a way to wear art. P - thanks - the rivets are very much a design feature of these earrings. Peace. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.