Sunday, July 28, 2019

Buffalo horn folders

©2019 Barry Smith - Almond shaped buffalo horn folders - the top folder is just over 8cm long. The bottom folder shows the rough original surface of the horn
I saw that Velma was a working bone again making bone folders. I wanted a bit of creative play so I decided I would make some 'bone' folders out of buffalo horn because I love the black lustrous colour of it.

Fiona showed me a couple of horn folders she has; and I was particularly taken with the smaller folders that have an almond shape to them. As you can see from the photos below the starting product was quite rough; but as the process continued the beauty appeared


©2019 Barry Smith - This section of horn is about 16cm long - marked for sawing
©2019 Barry Smith - Rough sawn pieces of horn
©2019 Barry Smith - Roughly shaped and sanded pieces before grinding and polishing with the jewellery wheels
And the finished product is good. Thanks for the inspiration Velma.

©2019 Barry Smith - Trio of buffalo horn folders - catching a bit of setting sunlight. The top folder is the shape it is because I just followed the curve of the horn. The lustre was brought out by the jewellery polishing paste.
©2019 Barry Smith - Trio of buffalo horn folders on the kitchen bench
Out of offcuts I have made 4 pair of earring drops. I hope to finish those over the next week.

©2019 Barry Smith - The earring drops have a grainy look as they include the rough outside texture of the horn

1 comment:

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.