Sunday, December 15, 2019

Stairway to ....


©2019 Barry Smith - Stairway between the terraces - form and function
We had planned to put in a stairway that could be used to walk between the upper and lower gravelled sculpture terraces. We had set aside 9 450mmX4500mmX80mm timber blocks that were cut from salvaged storm timber. The timber is not suitable for fine art work; but again can add art dimensions to the block.

I started on the bottom terrace and built the steps into the earth. There was quite a lot of earth that needed to be dug out - it was relocated to provide good soil for bushes we are planting at the base of the lower terrace - below the large agapanthus.

©2019 Barry Smith  - Multitasking - cutting the steps in and watering the agapanthus in as well. It was hot so a bit of fine scary from time to time was welcomed
Fiona and I had talked about the relationship between the stairway and the timber cubes. I think it has worked well.

©2019 Barry Smith  - Overview of the stairway in relation to the long terraces - I have finished planting the mini agapanthus along the slope above the terraces - that is good news to me. 
©2019 Barry Smith  - Stairway watered to get rid of the mud etc - looks good with the cubes.
Because I was working on my own there are a couple of wobbles that need to be sorted before I screw the stairs together. Fiona will provide guidance fro the mini boardwalk at the top of the slope.

I was also able to install the last bench seat on the terraces down below.

©2019 Barry Smith - Bench seat nestled into the slope of the terrace - with the gravel and leaf litter it looks like it has been there for quite some time.
©2019 Barry Smith - Bench seat surrounded by tree trunks and agapanthus

2 comments:

  1. MC - that is how I look at it. F and I often think about our block as being a canvass for creating in different ways. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.