Friday, January 3, 2020

Last three on the workbench

©2020 Barry Smith - Vintage and well worn wooden shoe making form
I have decided that I will not make any more Artisan Lamps. I want to put more focus on letterpress, my hammered metal work, some sculptural pieces and maybe some letter carving in stone.

As part of the start of the year decluttering process I will be getting rid of a lot of the stuff I have collected over time for lamp making. There will be a garage sale in a couple of weeks.

Still as I was sorting the shelves I came across a few pieces that I have thought I would turn into the last three lamps.

This blog shows some of the early stages of the three lamps to be. Some of the starter pieces are below.

©2020 Barry Smith - Some of the lamp parts
The opening photo shows the base of a lamp using a wooden shoe making form - I quite like the quirky 'heel' - balance-weights from a clock. The other two lamps will be made from vintage oiling cans.

©2020 Barry Smith - Glass beads to be used as blast in the base of the oiling can lamps
©2020 Barry Smith - Small vintage oiling can lamp with vintage bakelite light fitting
©2020 Barry Smith - Elongated vintage oiling can on its way to becoming a lamp.
©2020 Barry Smith - Testing the wiring - it took 4 tries and 30 minutes to thread the wire through
Whist there is still a way to go; but the three lamps are taking form.

2 comments:

  1. I will miss seeing your stuff-becoming-lamps ... but I totally get the moving-on ... I'm sure you will have fun, whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful. Love all that you post - looking forward to your next creative sparks! Always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.