Sunday, December 25, 2022

Trialling oil based moulding 'clay'

 

I received a package of oil base metal moulding clay to do a couple of quick trials. But first a photo of a couple of ingots of pewter made from a very old and dirty pewter tea pot. I had read that it is better to make ingots before melting metal for objects as it helps to get rid of impurities. 

The impurities resulted in the dull grey colour but also the rainbow colours. 

Anyway the photos below show the outcomes achieved using the oil based  'clay' - mixture of oil, very fine sand and very fine clay. Great that it can be reused; and being oil based tends not dry out. 





The good news is that I got no splutter when I poured the metal into the mould. I think this really has potential. For my work I like the textured look created by the fine sand.

1 comment:

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.