Sunday, March 31, 2024

Slate and timber


Over the last couple of days I have managed to get a bit of time in the workshop. On Saturday I attempted to make a slate (from cottage roof) and silver pendant for Fiona; and today I managed to finish 3 timber vases.

In regard to the pendant I say attempted because the slate was very flakey and shattered when grinding at the end of production. The pendant above was meant to be a third longer in length but I needed to trim the bottom and ended up with a square shaped pendant. I wanted to 'stitch' the slate to reflect some of the work Fiona is doing for her Scotland exhibition.

In the end I made a second pendant with rivets - but even there ran into trouble as a bit broke in the slate so I had to glue a short rivet into that hole - and I only had brass short refits.


The timber vase making today was more successful. I finished the vase made from the found pine offcuts - below.

Made a second one from camphor laurel.



And finished the dark timber vase I started in our course.


I like how the three of the vases look together - each unique in colour and form




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.