Friday, November 5, 2010

A Friday of new beginnings

Today has been given over to three new beginnings: reinforcing the mezzanine floor in the shed; watching the new pumpkins grow; and creating a couple of prototypes for a new series of light catchers. I won't bore you with the floor saga - suffice to say that the bureaucrats have made unreasonable demands on what we need to do to turn the shed into a print studio.


But the good news is that the next generation of pumpkins has burst forth. I put down a good layer of cardboard to suppress the weeds and planted seeds from last year's pumpkins in three holes. As you can see from the photos above we now have small clusters of pumpkin plants happily emerging - rich and strong.

Now that I have delivered my work for the Main Street Gallery's Small Pleasures and Treasures exhibition I have started work on a new series of work for an exhibition Fiona and I have commtted to in early March 2011 - though the work has to be completed by Jan 2011. I want to include light catchers in the exhibition but not the assemblages I did for Main Street. So today I experimented with a simple folded triangle and rectangle of rusted metal.



Whilst the photos above indicate the final products are a bit rough and not well finished I think the simple forms and the contrast of the crystals, rivets and silver plate metal appears to work. Both pieces are about 240mm high. With a bit more patience and time I think this could be the beginning of a new series.

1 comment:

  1. ah - yes, you are def. onto something here Baz. ..and very happy about the baby pumpkins xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.