Friday, January 14, 2011

On the razor's edge?

I enjoy listening to ACDC's music when I am working in the yard or in the garage. It seems right when I am doing heavy stuff. Seems to make moving gravel or beating metal that bit easier. The title of one of their tracks refers to living on the razor's edge. That title came to mind when I saw the blade of an old rusted wheat scythe in a junk shop. The blade is about 800mm long. I always wanted to create a stark simple piece using the blade. To me living on the razor's edge can, amongst other things, refer to being at a turning point in one's life - on the edge - able to go one way or another.

I reforged the blade's handle attachments so that they were at right angles to the blade. As you can see from the photos below I have attached the modified blade to a block of Huon Pine (850mm high,160mm square).
Barry Smith © Razor's edge


Barry Smith © Razor's edge 
Barry Smith © Razor's edge

Barry Smith © Razor's edge
As usual on a Friday my art work tends to be done after lunch and therefore photos of pieces are often taken outside towards dusk. Today the sky was quite menacing with low dark clouds. Unusual light - almost makes the shots look black and white. And whilst I have said it reminds me of the ACDC track the blade also reminds me of half a feather or a crinkled leaf.

7 comments:

  1. Just love this piece. It took my breath away when I walked in and saw it; and the photos are stunning and artistic - gorgeous all round! F

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, Barry - this is a strong and simple piece with the dichotemy of opposing elements from all angles, especially photographed like this. Well done xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the photos are every bit as artistically pleasing as the piece! And I can see there is both heaviness and lightness in the blade because it has such a graceful bend to it. How cool is that - to be able to suggest a feather and a razor's edge at once? Then again - reptiles and birds have a common ancestry, so...

    Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally agree with Fiona ... (tho i wish i can actually see this in person) it's stunning! stark, clean, menacing and stunning ... i love it! and coupled with that amazing sky ... WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful new life you have given to the blade; it just looks stunning with the beautiful timber; and your photos do justice to both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea- creativity has to be on the edge- or else everything one does would be safe or a repetition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. F,N,TT,L, C & D - thanks for your comments & glad Razor's edge struck a cord with you all. I was lucky to get the blade and lucky that the piece was completed on that day - the menacing sky was a good backdrop. D - I do like the idea that creativity needs to be on the edge to move us on from mediocrity. L - F is right it does look good in reality. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.