Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Recycled materials

One lesson I learnt from the In the Stillness exhibition was that I have an ongoing love of and commitment to using as much salvaged and recycled material in each piece of my work as I can. Obviously I need to use new glues and rivets etc but the main body of work can be based on reuse. I also learnt that in the main metal and timber are the materials I warm to most – with a bit of Perspex thrown in occasionally.

I am currently working on both a COMA piece and also a piece for the Artspace Mackay artists book exhibition. The Mackay piece will be an artists book with a sculptural form – as indicated in my rough sketch.


You can see from the photos that the materials I start with can be fairly rough but the new form and at times the cutting and polishing will bring out the latent beauty of the materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.