Sunday, August 18, 2013

Functional pieces for food

Shannon called me a few days ago and asked if I would join her stand at the Real Food Festival (Maleny 7-8 September). Last year I made ladles and leaf-spoons for the festival stand.

More recently I have been selling my ladles through one of our local gift type stores. In fact they have sold the 6 ladles I provided; and I was in the process of making more.

Though Fiona and I have been flat out working on the 11 commission pieces, I did get around to finishing 3 of the ladles-severing spoons over the weekend.

As you can see from the photos below the serving spoon is quite larger - the spoon part is about 10-12 cm long and 7.5 cm wide. This could be used for serving spaghetti or curries etc. The smaller ladles are for sauces or melted chocolate.


©2013 Barry Smith - Back of large serving spoon - sunburst hammer pattern
©2013 - Barry Smith - Two sauce ladles and one large serving spoon
©2013 - Barry Smith - Two sauce ladles and one large serving spoon 
©2013 - Barry Smith - Two sauce ladles and one large serving spoon - backs of spoon and ladle bowls
At this stage I'm not sure if these pieces are destined for the festival or the shop. Bowls of the ladles and serving spoon are made from recycled metal. Handles are new copper and brass rod. As you can see all handles are riveted to the bowls. The large serving spoon had five copper rivets.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Barry!! And, I think this may have happened before here, I recall, but in the last paragraph I read "... Bowls of LADIES and serving spoon..." which gave me a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B ... you managed to perfectly combine beauty, art, function and repurposing all together in these spoons and ladles. *Salute*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy, B!! I can see why you have a back log of commissions, I am thinking I would like some too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VA, L & K - hi gang - thanks for commenting on this last effort at functional art stuff. VA - I checked the last paragraph but can only see ladles - maybe you have ladies and bowl eye syndrome? (lol). L - it is pleasing to make something a bit different , artistic but will have a mundane life - though if used for serving chocolate it won't be mundane. K - always welcome to buy some beautiful bling from the metal shop. All - go well and create well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.