Sunday, November 6, 2016

Finished

©2016 Barry Smith - Leaf forms and rods against an ironstone background
Over the weekend I finished Bending 5. Because it will be an indoor piece I need to adjust the length of the rods to ensure the balance with the base boards was right. I also made the rods three different lengths - the shortest was about 50mm shorter than the longest - this was to give the piece a bit of movement.

©2016 Barry Smith - Offcuts of 'stems'
The holes for the rods in the base boards are drilled at an angle of about 65 degrees. I arrived at that after testing a couple of angles on some old boards and seeking the input of my art-design option person - Fiona.

Photographing the work was difficult - the finished piece is about 70cm high, 75-80cm wide and 1.1m-1.2m long. I tried to photograph it on a desk top in Fiona's sewing studio - too many bits and pieces in the way.

©2016 Barry Smith - Bending 5 with birds' nests
In the end I dragged a work bench over from the shed to a lower deck of the house and got some reasonable shots.

©2016 Barry Smith - Bending 5 with base boards spaced out a little - this is the preferred option - even greater spacing and offsets are preferred but the tabletop and wall space did not allow for that
©2016 Barry Smith - Bending 5 with base boards in a tight rectangle format
©2016 Barry Smith - Leaf forms and rods against an ironstone background
It would be good to get some professional photos done - though I don't think that will happen. Still it is good to have it finished.

There were 4 discards.

©2016 Barry Smith - Four leaf forms and rods 
I now need to move on to making stock for Maleny additions.

2 comments:

  1. Very lovely.

    I'd be interested to know why you deselected the 4?
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy - I usually tend to make a few spares when I'm making multiples as it gives me the opportunity to select those pieces that fit together best. I deselected 4 because they were quite different in colour to the other 20 - some strange reaction between the metal and patina solution. But on their own they were beautiful - they have now been gifted to a new home. Go well. B

      Delete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.