Sunday, March 17, 2019

Something different - still in progress

©2019 Barry Smith - Stitching across the space - brass plate and stainless steel wire
After spending a couple of hours cleaning up my garage-studio this morning I started a new piece that might find its way into an up coming exhibition. The cleaning was necessary as my space was totally covered in fine dust from tiles being cut by the tiler who was working on the renovation on Saturday.

The work was in part inspired by a roll of high tensile stainless steel that a friend gave me - said I "probably could do something with it".

©2019 Barry Smith - A very significant amount of stainless steel wire
I decided to create a piece that has negative space between two section; and I planned to bridge that space with the stainless steel wire. A few process photos follow.

©2019 Barry Smith - Brass plate - offcuts I picked up along the way
©2019 Barry Smith - Brass plate tried and cut with a side grinder - marked yup for drilling 88 holes
©2019 Barry Smith - I broke 3 1.5mm drill bits on the task - fragile little numbers.
©2019 Barry Smith - Sheets drilled, ground and polished ready for stitching
©2019 Barry Smith
©2019 Barry Smith - A view of the stitches or staples from the back
©2019 Barry Smith - About half way
I think it is turning out pretty well. Fiona suggested that it might be called liminal space  - the space where transformation takes place if we learn to wait and let it form us.






4 comments:

  1. love this bridge in these troubled times

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting! I like the process photos, which are a sort of liminal space in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P, MC and D - thanks for taking the time to visit the blog. P - it turned out well. MC - I did wonder about the title reflecting your comment. D - thanks - I enjoy other artists process photos. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.