Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Another book in the wall and other matters

©2019 Barry Smith - Fungi in sunlight on the book wall
I did walk this morning; and I did take some photos of the darkening winter light which I will share along with a gorgeous photo of rainbows reflections through the water in the kettle.

But first I thought I'd share a few photos of the ageing book wall. The book wall was created as a functional-art wall some 6 years ago. It was made in response to the number of hardcover books including year books, science books, coffee table books and encyclopaedias that were all being sent to the rubbish tip; and we needed a retaining wall.

When I made the wall I knew it was ephemeral and would need periodic top-ups. Recently I was given a full set of year books - some 50-60 books and a full set of encyclopaedias. This was on top of some boxes of books I had stored in the garden shed - other donations. I thought it was time to refresh the wall. You can see from the photos below it was in need of repair.

©2019 Barry Smith - A degraded section of the book wall
©2019 Barry Smith - Whilst sections are degraded they can look gorgeous - the lower layers gradually returning to the soil from whence they came
©2019 Barry Smith - Love the lines and how insects have made burrows in the book
But with the addition of additional books the wall will look strong again - go course with its waves and wrinkles.

©2019 Barry Smith - New layers to the wall
I spied a little pod amongst the leaf litter above the wall.

©2019 Barry Smith - Tiny seed pod that has lost its outer coating
Some photos of this morning's light.

©2019 Barry Smith - Winter frangipani at dawn
©2019 Barry Smith - Looking across the valley towards Brisbane 
©2019 Barry Smith - Lone street light in Treehaven Way
And that gorgeous rainbow light through the kettle.

©2019 Barry Smith - Waves of light and reflections through the water in the clear glass kettle 



4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I just all of this. So wonderful. Wish I could visit the book wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your book wall and that pod is such a tiny treasure, you have such a good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi T, BGM and MC - thanks heaps for dropping into the blog and leaving your comments - much appreciated. T - thanks - it looks good and performs well. BGM - your ephemeral work and books from the forest in a way complement what I'm doing with some of these books. It is lovely to see the outcomes of the natural processes. MC - that tiny pod was just exquisite - eye candy!! All - go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.