Sunday, June 30, 2019

Books, compassion exhibition and bones

©2019 Barry Smith - Seventy small metal book pages - each 1.9cm X 1.2cm
Fiona and I went to the official opening of the Compassion Artists' Book Exhibition yesterday afternoon - there was a good crowd to honour the work of the 26 artists.  Ken and Ardleigh, in the photo below, had done a massive job to bring it all together. Big thank you to Ken and Ardleigh. The exhibition is open for a few weeks so a good opportunity to get along.

©2019 Barry Smith - Ken and Ardleigh at the opening of Compassion Artists' Book Exhibition
I had 6 pairs small book earrings; and 12 small metal books in the exhibition 'shop'. The earrings all sold out in a couple of hours as did a few small metal books. I was asked by Ardleigh and a number of attendees whether I would be willing to make more earrings.

I started the process of making up to ten pair today as you can see from the opening photo and the process photos below.

©2019 Barry Smith - Silver-plated drink coasters destined to become book earrings
©2019 Barry Smith - I'm able to cut 10 pages (1.9cm X 1.2cm) out of each coaster
©2019 Barry Smith - Strip of metal in the jaws of my guillotine 
©2019 Barry Smith - Ten sets of 6 pages sorted into containers marked left and right - ready for stamping words on the middle page before riveting, grinding, polishing and attaching ear wires
Still a lot of work to do on the earrings; but hopefully I will finish them by or on the next weekend.

Since I was in preparation mode I decided to clean and cut more bone: some for carving and some for pendants and earrings. As you can see I managed a reasonable assortment. Bit of a warning about sawing and sanding bone - always best to be done in the open and with a good quality mask on. Bone dust is not so good for the lungs.

©2019 Barry Smith - Scraping the shin bones after they were cooked with the osso bucco 
©2019 Barry Smith - Bones marked up for cutting with a fine abrasive blade in my angle grinder.
©2019 Barry Smith - Bone that has been cut and given an initial grind.
Now that I have the pages for the books and the bone cut there is no excuse for me not grabbing bits of time to make the pieces.

2 comments:

  1. So wonderful to see your process

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Compassion show looks beautiful & love seeing your process for preparing the bones for carving!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.