Monday, April 10, 2023

A burning collaboration in progress



Yesterday afternoon was quite sunny and not much wind. Fiona and I were cleaning up around the back of the cottage to make space for our tattie (aka potato) sacks - another story to be told later. 

There were quite a few fence post points that I had cut off and saved when making the tree surrounds on the last trip over. The fence posts were salvaged used posts. I asked F if she would give me a hand to nail them together to make a sculptural form that I thought we could char.

My initial thought was to make a cube shape as below.



After we had nailed three sets of three together F felt that a cube would be too static and why not nail them in such a way that we could get a bit of a zig-zag going as you can see in the opening photo. Following are a few more photos of the zig-zag in progress including placing some rusty bits in place - mainly wood-lane blades purchased for $4 on Orkney. I will drill holes in the metal pieces so they can be nailed in place.




We will wait for a fine and wind free day to char the wood; and then the rusty bits will be attached. The charring (aka burning) will give the piece a unified look. We are not sure where we will place the finished piece but we are sure there will be a spot around the cottage.

1 comment:

  1. as I was driving through our neighborhood with 3 year old Ellis the other day, she said the houses looked like castles ... and I had much the same notion seeing your fence posts zigged and zagged together ... like a parapet

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.