Sunday, June 4, 2023

Sail making...

 

This blog post is the third in my process series - I have done one on making hulls and one on soldering the elements together. Today I completed the last 30 sails for the 100 boat artwork. The 30 sails are in the photos above. I'm doing 30 sails as I intend to make 110 boats in all.

The sail making starts with using a template to mark up and a bench top guillotine to cut the sail shaped metal.



The sharp edges are ground off the sail shapes and the whole for the mast are drilled. The sail forms are then created using my hydraulic press and hammering on the metal form. 



The sail forms are given an aged look by applying heat to them.



The groove for locking the sail to the hull for soldering are then marked and cut with a mini offcuts blade.


The hole for the masts and the soldering groove are then cleaned using a mini steel wire brush.

The stacks of sails are now ready for soldering to the masts and hull forms.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.