Friday, December 10, 2021

Carving graphite and melting metal

 

I want to make seven small metal wrecked boat hulls from melted metal scraps. But first I needed to carve a mould into a graphite block. I decided to use the back side of a mould I don't use these days. 


I did a quick test pour and decided that the shape with a blunt end was not what I was looking for. So I will carve a pointed end on the mould and do another test pour. I quite like the fractured textured look of the underside of the hull




While I was melting metal I also tested some new small-tiny heart and star moulds. They have potential - just need to work a little more slowly.




Experimenting and testing is still good fun - no expectations.

2 comments:

  1. you had me at "carving graphite" ... the shingled texture is just right and I love the lines that show you anticipated the blunt end might not work ...

    this post reminded me of a small brass boat of my dad's from long ago ... I'm pretty sure is was intended to hold his pipe when it wasn't in active use ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The natural sculpture does not bore the audience.
    I respect your outstanding workmanship.

    Merry Christmas. And, Happy New Year.

    I wish You all the best.
    Greeting and hug.

    From Japan, ruma ❃

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.