Friday, December 31, 2021

Sculptural post commission

 

I have a commission to make a three post sculptural installation. The work is to be done in Jan-Feb 2022 - so I have started getting components ready including drilling and rusting the square washers above. I love the rust forming on the raw iron of the drilled washers.

The photo of the sketch below gives a pretty good summary of the work including the fact that I will be using 200mm square plantation cypress pine (white ant resistant) that is to be delivered on 5 January.

Monica, who commissioned the work, gave me a couple of rusted metal chairs to use as I wanted. See one of the chairs below before I dismantled it with a side grinder.

I  have decided to include quite a few bits of the chairs in the sculptural posts - a pile of bits I will use after dismantling are below - left out in the rain to develop a bit more rust.

I have also started to collect other interesting bits such as the wheels below.


Whilst I was in cutting mode I trimmed some melted pieces I had melted some weeks ago - see below.

Part of the art process are the tedious tasks - the post materials are coming together nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.