Sunday, January 7, 2024

Metal magic

 

I have done quite a number of different bits of art over the last few days including: printing (letterpress)  60 cards of encouragement; making a black pearl lariat necklace; making some melted metal forms; and making some meted metal pendants. 

This post will focus on the melted metal forms and pendants such as the ones above and below.

I like the free form nature of one of the pendants above and another below. I also like the fire colour I have left on the more regular shaped two above.

I poured some more cone and pyramid forms as you can see below. The metal in the forms is a mixture of pewter and brass and needed to be heated to over 1000 degrees.



The 3D object below resulted from turning off the furnace before a full melt was complete. It seems to suggest building that have fallen - the result of an earthquake or war. I'm going to keep it for a while but it might go back into the furnace. The piece is about 40mm in diameter and 50mm high; and weighs about 350grams.


No two periods of melting metal are every the same - so much of the metal I recycle and melt tends to not really conform to the melting points of the pure metal. Still it is always full of surprises and a lot of fun.



1 comment:

  1. knowing how tricky it can be to pour simple hot liquids in the kitchen, I am in awe of what it must take to pour molten metals! Liz A

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.