Friday, April 22, 2011

Frivolity on Friday

Fiona and I arrived home lunchtime yesterday from our 'work-work' to the NT. As usual with homecomings after being away for about three weeks, the last day and a half have been filled with unpacking, washing, mowing grass, whipper-snipping weeds, spraying weeds, catching up on administration and maintenance - I'm almost exhausted just typing that. But we have also fitted in a trip to our local bakery and sitting drinking bubbles on the southern deck whilst watching the sunset in the west.

However we made a pledge that we are going to try to do a little creativity each day for the next three days - given we can't really do any hands on stuff while we are away working. So mid afternoon - down we went to the studios (in my case the garage-workshop).

I planned to do a simple light catcher made from an old weaving shuttle I bought about 6 weeks or more ago. I thought if I kept it simple I should be able to do it in a couple of hours and it would make me smile. So the finished product, I have called it Light Shuttle, is below. The piece was photographed quickly outside - so the mountains are in the background again. It is fairly small - about 250mm high and 150 long and 50mm wide.

Barry Smith © Light Shuttle - side
Barry Smith © Light Shuttle - front
Barry Smith © Light Shuttle - top
The photo below shows it will reflect the light.

Barry Smith © Reflecting the light
And it all started with this old shuttle.  The shuttle has good wood in it and some interesting asymmetrical curves and grooves.

Barry Smith © Old weaving shuttle
I have added some plumbing brass bits for interest and highlights; buffed the brass on the emery wheel; made a bolt to bolt the brass bit in at the back; and gave it a polish with beeswax.

9 comments:

  1. Love it. I have several old wooden planers I have collected from a couple of NZ trips. I have thought about simply attaching them to a length of wood and using as simple wall art but after looking at your weaving shuttle I will start thinking again. Perhaps each piece individual thought and creativity. Glad I checked your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool - looks like some alchemist tool for measuring... um.... something! A mystery, I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry - Simple... I think not. That is very creative. I'm always fascinated by people's imagination and how they can turn items into something so different. Love the crystal to catch the light. Besides rust my other addition is crystals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope this piece made you smile...it makes me smile!!!
    Cheers and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am honored to be able to celebrate wonderful coming of spring with you.
    Thank you for the warmth of your heart.

    Have a good weekend...

    From Japan, ruma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home Barry. Love the additions of metal to these wonderfully shaped wooden shuttles. Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so creative of you and a lovely outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by, Barry!
    I followed your link: http://barrysmithart.com/gallery/current-exhibition-2/ B
    and have to say ~ great eye candy!!!
    I enjoyed looking at your creations. I'm always excited by your artwork, you have a very unique style.
    I wish I lived closer and could see all these awesome creations in person.

    Gaby xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barry, this is a very elegant use of the old shuttle. Just perfect for a light catcher.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.