Friday, June 5, 2020

Finding beauty

©2020 Barry Smith - Earrings made from offcuts of silver-plated serving dishes
From time to time I'm asked am I a jeweller - the answer of course is no. How is it that I make some jewellery - mainly earrings and pendants? The short answer is that I started to do this work because I did not want to waste beautiful pieces of metal or adornments that I collected as part of my salvaging of metal - aka - cutting up silver-plated trays etc.

In exchange for silver-plated serving dishes I committed to making the gifting person a couple of pairs of earrings.

©2020 Barry Smith - Some of the found bits further developed for turning into earrings
©2020 Barry Smith - Should be a beautiful contrast between shiny metal and hammered metal
I managed to complete five pairs of earrings to give the gifted a choice.

©2020 Barry Smith
©2020 Barry Smith
©2020 Barry Smith
©2020 Barry Smith
©2020 Barry Smith
I also managed to finish off some pendants for the gallery-shop in the new DEP studio-workshop.

©2020 Barry Smith - Timber pendants - with rivets
©2020 Barry Smith - Buffalo horn pendant with rivets

My jewellery pieces are called found and formed in recognition of the recycled and salvaged nature of the materials.

1 comment:

  1. Always inspiring to see you transform random materials into functional and beautiful works of art. Your wearable pieces are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.