Sunday, November 6, 2022

Playing with molten metal

 

I'm easing back into the workshop after our weeks away in Scotland. I did a bit of cement work on Friday and finished yesterday. I decided to melt some lead free pewter to see if the furnace held at a lower melting point and how well the metal poured. I chopped up a pewter tray and a tankard - see the chopped up tankard below.

The good news as you can see from the opening photo it worked well. A few photos of metal forms follow.


I wanted to see if I could replicate the rainbow colours I accidentally achieved quite some time ago in a metal melt-pour. I added some of the remnants of the earlier crystalline mix in with the pewter. I'm happy to say I have achieved a couple more good pieces and a few hearts. Not as vibrant as the original but still looking good.


The photo below shows just how crystalline the metal became - bits shattered as I was cutting the surplus metal off.



Art play can be quite restorative. Some of the metal forms will become mini sculptures called Poised - just in time for the studio sale.

1 comment:

  1. me being me, I very much like the drip and drop in the first image ... and how interesting to see metal shattering like that ...

    as ever, I do so wish I could transport myself to Australia to visit you in your studio

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.