Friday, July 7, 2023

Picking up the pieces

 

I was back in the letterpress-printing studio today. My goal was to finish off a couple of artists' books that I had last worked on months ago. As you can see from the photo above: one was a small folded book of letter press printed daily words of inspiration; whereas the other, Univited Hands, is a more complex book about patriarchy. 

With the latter book I needed to ensure the pages are in correct order and add reinforcing  to the edges of the pages so that it can be safely and strongly stitched. Fortunately I kept the small rough mock up book to guide the the page sequence - see below.

The following photos are simply a couple of the work progress and work bench. The reinforcing edges wrap around the sheets and are glued in place with double sided tape.


The photo below shows the spine of the book ready for stitching.


And the front edge of the book - below.

The small Daily Words book had been under weights to ensure it kept its fold. The book is meant to be carried in one's pocket or bag so it needed a bit of twine, courtesy of Fiona, to hold it folded.


I can't do single page binding so I will need to pay someone to bind Univited Hands and two artist's proofs of my other patriarchy book It Won't Dismantle Itself

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.