Sunday, July 2, 2023

Preparations for sculptural post and cubes

 

Fiona and I have agreed that we should use up the materials we have around before buying more art materials. I decided to get into my wood pile and cut up some of what was there to make a couple of posts and as many cubes as the timber allowed. 

As you can see from the opening photo I have prepared a good post and 7 cubes for turning into yard art. Process photos follow - timber hauled to the cutting area; and the cut pieces. The post is about 1.5m tall and the cubes are 17-18cm.


After giving all the cut timber a sand with coarse sandpaper in the belt sander, I selected the post and the 7 cubes to rout before Fiona and I add rust to them. 

Routing process photos follow - cubes marked up and post routed.


The next stage is to ink up the routed grooves - I got time top ink the post's routed lines.


Talking of using up materials - I decided to treat the remaining square washers and some screws with acid to encourage them to rust.

The preparations is close to being finished - Fiona and I will make time to add rust to the post and cubes.



1 comment:

  1. I can't count the number of times I've promised myself not to buy another thing ... surely I have enough stuff to last a lifetime of making ... but it's so hard to resist, especially when I convince myself that buying old/used stuff keeps it from the landfill ... and surely that's a good thing, right?

    so I laughed when I read this in this morning's obits (which I sometimes browse, appreciating how someone's eccentricities can outlive them to become the stuff of story and thereby a source of ongoing happiness) ...

    "Douglas D. Cook ... also enjoyed visiting estate sales where he bought many ‘good bargains’, eventually accumulating 130 shovels and 98 hammers that were “just too good to pass up."

    Happy days ... Liz A

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.