Friday, July 28, 2023

Stuff and rust

 

One can get some strange requests  - like this one - could I mount an antique cast iron door knocker on rusted metal so that it could actually be mounted outside a door? I said I would give it a go - above is the finished result with a bit of rust to keep it company.

The task entailed my drilling into the bottom of the square bit, tapping a thread into it and then making a thread and nut to fit. To accommodated the nut I made the knocker plate out of two 8mm thick pieces of rusty iron that I riveted together after screwing on the nut and gluing the nut into the bottom plate. I had drilled a large hole in the back plate to accomodate the nut which is now flush with the surface of the back plate metal. A couple of mounting hole were drilled and the cut edges given a grind and polish. A few development photos follow.




And a couple more rust images - I have been drilling the cut pieces and washers so they can be nailed onto the post.


I shall finish with another finished knocker photo.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.