Monday, August 21, 2023

Finessing cottages; and making a lid for a display cask

 

Never a dull moment at the cottage. Yesterday was given over to making a lid for a cask that will be used to display one of my exhibition works; and today was a stone cutting day.

First the cutting of stone. I had done a rough cut of five of the cottages; but now I need to finesse them. This includes cutting off a bit of surplus stone and then carving them with hand stone carving chisels to give a more hand carved and rough ground texture.

As you can see from the opening photo and the photos below Fiona was on hand to take a few photos of the diamond cutting blade in action.





The photos below show the workbench in the shed where I have started to chip away some of the stone.


The top for the cask was scribed; and then cut with a neighbours jigsaw. A few coats of grey paint and it is good to go. Whilst I was cutting and painting I prepared a board to mount a new letterbox and a board to eventually will hold an etched sign for the cottage.




There are always plenty of tasks to do around the cottage. Fiona was dealing with weeding and strimming the area where we had installed the new letterbox while I was cutting stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.