Sunday, August 13, 2023

Gathering stones

 

One of the works I'm making for the September exhibition at Strathnaver Museum is about the stone cottages that the folk cleared from the Highlands had to build by hand from the hard stone from the  beaches where they also had to launch their tiny wooden fishing boats.

Over the weekend Fiona and I visited Sleiteil, Talmine and Portskerra to collect a few stones from each for me to carve cottages into. On our last trip I had gathered stones from Skerray and Armadale and had begun to carve them. In the opening and photo below you can see the stones - some carved.

Following are the stone beaches of Sleiteil, Talmine and Portskerra.





A couple of photos of stones in the process of being gathered and selected Sleiteil and Portskerra.


A photo of the ruins of one of the original cottages built by hand in Sleiteil.

I aim to carve the stones next week.

1 comment:

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.