Friday, April 10, 2020

Time in the letterpress studio

©2020 Barry Smith - Postcard with the quote from John O'Donohue's blessing Equilibrium
As part of getting a different routine in our life during this isolation etc time Fiona and I are trying to put in a few mornings each week in the new letterpress studio - our place of work.

My computer is in for repairs so I'm working on the laptop - which I'm not so familiar with so anything could happen with this post - old dog relearning new tricks and all that.

The subject of my printing times has been a couple of lines from John O'Donohue's blessing called Equilibrium (p.142 in his book Benedictus). You can see the lines in the opening photo. I thought they were quite apt for the current times; and love the nod to balance; but also ensure we are not locked into old names and can be open to what a new time might offer or even require.

What follows are some process photos for the printing of: the backs of a stash of postcard blanks; 20 printed postcard with the quote; and 36 bookmarks with the quote.

©2020 Barry Smith - The top of postcard blanks
©2020 Barry Smith - Fiona working in the background with postcard blanks in the front.
©2020 Barry Smith - The quote all locked up in the chase - the font is 60pt Marion from Berlin 1913
©2020 Barry Smith - Bookmarks with Deckled Edge Press chop
©2020 Barry Smith
©2020 Barry Smith
I am pleased with what was achieved. I'm finding that I'm getting quicker at the letterpress now that I'm doing it more regularly. And it is Friday so that means a glass or wine - bubbles tonight I think.





4 comments:

  1. a lovely font ... and a perfect fit for the quote

    your new studio has such a sense of order and calm ... even (especially) in the midst of production

    ReplyDelete
  2. love seeing the variations on the different papers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello.

    Character design is very beautiful.
    And the text is noble.

    Take care.

    I wish You all the best.
    Greeting and hug.

    From Japan, ruma ❃

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.