Friday, January 28, 2022

Product and posts

 

I need to make quite a lot of product:  leaf knives; leaf spoons; leaf tea-caddy spoons; and word leaves.

Most times I use metal from ornate trays or placemats but this time with Fiona's encouragement I thought I would make some items that were neither ornate or hammered - simply beautiful forms. The three spreader knives (formally pate knives - but they are good for all sorts of spreading jobs) just show the beauty of the leaf form without and additions - I like this new form - these three were a test run. Of course I will continue with other variations.

A few process photos showing a serious amount of metal cut for the different product items. Another twenty leaf knives in the production process - some still need to be cut - I just wanted to round up the number to twenty.




I thought I would share a photo of my bench guillotine that can save me a lot of hand cutting if used delicately. The blade is 300mm long and the handles is over 90cm long. You can see the outcome of the cutting with the guillotine in the second photo above.

I have finished the third post for the post commission - the trio look good as you can see below.

The posts will be installed early next week.

1 comment:

  1. I confess to cringing as I considered the close edge work that you do with the guillotine ... my fingers fairly tingled

    and the posts ... oh my goodness ... you've used the knots and striations in the wood to such good effect, but what struck me most was the dots and circles and squares ... those iconic forms put me in mind of the Australian aboriginal art in one of your recent posts, so I looked back and found many other references besides:

    http://rustnstuff.blogspot.com/search?q=aboriginal+

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.