Sunday, May 29, 2022

After the storm - beauty and/or destruction?

 

I have been progressing some elements of my pieces for the Vessel exhibition. My pieces will reflect a tragic side of the fishing story of the Scottish Highlands - including the loss of life through storms. The photo above was a bit of an accident - Fiona had put our rainbow of hearts in a circle and when I came to photograph some of the formed hulls (melted metal) I combined them with the rainbow - the contrast between a gentle rainbow aspect of rain shower with the destruction that could occur in the form of hulls of wrecked boats. 

In all I have formed 12 destroyed hulls and 4 smashed hulls. Some photos of the process of cutting off excess metal follow.



And photos of the pieces after grinding and then polishing with a wire wheel.





It was good to get this aspect of the work done.

1 comment:

  1. these images sent me off in search of boat terminology (having incorrectly wondered if the ribs of a boat are ever called groins ... they appear not to be) ... anyway, it was much like the 50 Shades of Scotland: an eye-opening journey into words only vaguely familiar

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.