Monday, May 2, 2022

Stone bowl?

 

I wanted to see if I could carve a small bowl form into one the the grey stones from the cove. The photo above shows the finished item.

I started out by using the side grinder to cut into the stone; and then used stone cutting chisels to do the rest of the carving. See some progress photos below.



Another photo or two of the finished stone including one sitting on the cement apron outside the front door. The bowl form is about 65mm in diameter and 12mm deep.


What I did discover is that this stone is extremely hard. I learnt this through the damage done to the tungsten tips of the chisels. 

I will take these four chisels back to Maleny and grind and sharpen the. Still I was happy with the outcome of the carving.


1 comment:

  1. That’s fantastic! (Janet-btw, keeps saying my URL is invalid and won’t let me comment the usual way.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.