Sunday, May 15, 2022

Back at the press

 

Fiona and I were both at Deckled Edge Press over the weekend. I wanted to print my piece for Vinculum 77 - see below; but we also had to do a bit of remedial work - cleaning mould off some of our wood type and other wood bits. The 6.8cm wood type above cleaned up well and is ready for action. I just love the ink colours that have impregnated the wood - I know I have shown this before but still worth sharing I think.

A little more on the Vinculum project - Fiona and I were offered the opportunity to prepare work for Vinculum 77 2022 - which will showcase work of letterpress folk. Vinculum has be going on since 1974. The collective works of the participants each year are archived in the National Library of New Zealand. The work needs to be A5 in size.

I wanted to build on the NO TO WAR poster I printed before going overseas. This time NO TO WAR; but more importantly YES TO PEACE.

I have printed 80 copies of the poster - 60 quality ones are needed for Vinculum 77. A few images follow. I have included one showing the wear and tear on some of the wood type - but then again that transfers printing history to the page. The first image shows that after a discussion with Fiona I decided to use an even strong font for the YES TO PEACE section of the poster. Both fonts are 2.5cm high.






I also set a couple of pages of my Daily Words poetry book - front and back inner pages - this will be printed next weekend!!! Of course after the typo is fixed!!!

Another another drawer of cleaned wood type - the font I used for YES TO PEACE (2.5cm high). 

Though the wood type is prone to grow mould in sustained rainy weather; it is still beautiful to work with; and just looks gorgeous as well. 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for working to get rid of mould and war! Yes to Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll know we're finally on the right track when governments establish Departments of Peace and provide funds equal to Departments of "Defense" (why don't they name them War Departments?)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.