Friday, February 17, 2023

Choosing the right technique

 

I want to make a cluster of stone cottages for a planned exhibition piece. I want to carve them out of raw stone but left attached so that they look like they are still emerging from the stone. I think the one above and the one below are where I'm headed.

The two stones in the photo below give an idea of the starting point - water tumbled stones.

The following photos show three emerging cottages surrounded by the chips carved off the stones.


One lesson I have learnt is to check the stones carefully for fine cracks in the stones because inevitably during the carving process the stones will crack apart as you can see in the following photo. Another lesson is to choose stone that are of a uniform texture.


I am now comfortable with the selection of stones and the carving technique - so I should be right to carve stones in Scotland.




1 comment:

  1. B - these are beyond wonderful ... and now I can imagine you walking in Scotland, picking up each rock to see whether it has potential ... your pockets weighted, returning to your workshop ... to transform rocks into stone cottages ...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.