Sunday, February 26, 2023

The start of 100 sails

 

I have made the start on making 100 boat hulls by cutting up the blanks. Over the weekend I turned my mind and hand to cutting the flat sail shapes-blanks. I intend to hammer the flat metal to create shapes like the one above - curved as though there is a wind in the sails.

Using a template I marked up the shapes - quite frugal with the metal as I was able to use the angles to mark up the shapes from two directions to save cuts and metal.


The metal was cut on my bench mounted gulliuotine.


The final result was 105 pieces of metal in the photos below.


I have started to grind the rough edges off the cut metal before annealing the metal and hammering it into the sail form - see below.

One of the downsides of making multiples is that there is not a lot to show for effort as one is carrying out each step. The reward of course will be the 100 boats at the end when sails and hulls are connected via the mast.

1 comment:

  1. B - well for sure I can relate to the challenge of writing posts about repetitive makings ... but I must say I appreciate the efficiency of your production, minimizing both the number of cuts and the amount of unused scrap ... and time! ... I had imagined you sawing the bits until you showed the guillotine ... the ultimate marvel of efficiency

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.