Sunday, July 4, 2021

Art - not all about making; and other fragments

 

Art is not all about creating was the message that came to me loud and clear this weekend. Fiona and I have been doing a big sort and cull in our letterpress studio after having been open to the public for 12 months. One of the jobs that we still have to do is consolidating 6 duplicate draws of type into 3. Fiona has done much of the sorting and dissing of type in the past so I felt I needed to share the load of this lot. 

So whilst Fiona was making swing tags for my functional metal work I got into the two trays Dorchester 18pt - created in 1938.

The task included rearranging the draw on the left as it was not in traditional Californian job case set up and it was the better of the two draws. 

Then it was a matter of tediously transferring type and checking almost every letter - no wonder it took about 8 hours. Still you can see from the opening photo I achieved the transfer by the end of today. But I still have to sort and store the remainder of spacers and some ornamental pieces.



On Friday I managed to complete 12 leaf pate knives or spreading knives.


I thought I would also share a couple of photos of Echidna activity - it was most likely digging for ants or their eggs - but it looked like it was trying to enter the store room - though that was not the case. Photos taken by Fiona.


A very full few days.

4 comments:

  1. A HUGE effort B - thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an effort ... but I can see how it would be easier to pick type out of the wooden case compared to the white one ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((Barry & Fiona))) what a team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. F, LA and MC - sorry for the tardy response to your visit, comments and support. The task occurred so long ago that the sense of drudgery seems to have faded. I have another two draws of the Dorchester font to combine yet - at least the not is large. LA - the the grey-white trays are ok but as you say the scale is slightly smaller and so makes them harder to use. We are tending to us them more for spacers if we can. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.